Sunday, February 13, 2011

DEPARTING FIRESIDE 2-13-2011

Tonight was just the greatest departing fireside. The spirit was so strong and the testimonies so beautiful. We have 11 Elders going home. They were all so diligent, so hard-working, so obedient, so filled with charity. They touched many lives and will be sorely missed. But the lives that were changed the most were theirs. Listening to each of them share their testimony just made me so proud--just like a mom. As I listened I felt the assurance that each of them had truly given their all, had come to love all of God's children, gained strong and vibrant testimonies and were all going home as true disciples of Christ. There were lots of people there to tell them goodbye and show their love for these missionaries who touched their lives so much.
Elder Robbins played a beautiful piano solo. And Elder Sackett sang "I have Seen Him" a powerful and moving solo. Two great talents that will really be missed.

The missionaries who are departing are: Elders McFarlane, Bullock, Schaelling, Wallace, Peterson, Hill, Garlick, Logan, Robbins, Sackett, and Holmstead. Each of them shared their thoughts, advice and testimony. Some of the things we heard were:

Elder McFarlane: Importance of goal setting on mission and in life. And Satan works hard to stop you from achieving them. My mission was a sacred opportunity.

Elder Bullock: I LOVE each of you. He spoke about "overcoming" and referred to Revelations where it is mentioned 7 times. We must hear the "word" to overcome the world.

Elder Schaelling: Tonight my heart is full of Love. I didn't know I could feel like this. It is the spirit we feel now. It talked of planting the seed in his heart. There is no better feeling than what we feel now. This is how you find happiness.

Elder Wallace: 2 years have changed my life. I have a testimony of prayer. Pray got me on a mission and has gotten me through my mission. He is always listening.

Elder Peterson: For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son. He has become real to me on my mission. Greater love has no one.... He is our friend and the best way we can follow him is to be a better friend to all his children. In doing so we become a disciple of Christ.

Elder Hill: There are many principles of the Gospel. But it all comes down to this (held up a Book of Mormon). We believe in Christ and the B of M tells us how to return to God. The Bible is good and wonderful and we love it, but the BofM is the icing on the cake. If the BofM
is true, then Joseph Smith is true, then the church is true.

Elder Garlick: Humbled to be here. I'm speaking to those of you going thru a hard time...
Told a story of Elder Holland and a hard time when he repeatedly broke down in his car with his little family. He said, "Don't you quit, keep trying...Some blessings come Late, some come later, and some don't come till heaven. I love my mission and I love you.

Elder Logan: Hardest thing I have ever done. But the greatest thing and it has blessed and changed my life. Learned what I couldn't anywhere else. The missionaries found me 7 years ago when I was 19 yrs old and now I have found those seeking the gospel.

Elder Robbins: When we quiet the things in our life, we can hear the spirit. "Our challenge is not getting God to speak to us, but to be quiet enough to hear him when he does speak"
We are circled in the arms of His safety. This is the foundation for the rest of my life.

Elder Sackett: I have been pondering how Grateful I am. WE HAVE IT! I KNOW Joseph Smith saw God--I believe it. I know Savior feels our pain. I Love the gospel and I Love sharing it.
If you have doubts turn to the Savior. His hands are always out stretched. He will never leave you. I know this is true and it makes my heart stir and get on fire.

Elder Holmstead: I Love my Mission. It has been a blessing to labor among you. I look forward to life-long service. Home is just another transfer.
If a lumber jack cut a tree for you, would you thank the saw he used? No you thank him.
We as missionaries are tools in the Lord's hands, it is his work. So if a missionary has iinfluenced you, thank your Heavenly Father. I have felt the Lord's influence more than ever.
You come to love that for which you sacrifice. I Love Virginia, I love my mission, I love the people here. I promise if you sacrifice for God--you will love God. I can now declare that I Know Jesus is the Christ.

These young men are profound, learned, spiritual giants in my eyes and I love them.

An overflow crowd.
During the closing song," God be with you till we meet again". The departing missionaries get up and leave during the last verse. It is a really touching site.
Leaving the room as we sing

CJ Seidner leads the singing



Elder Hall
Elder West and the Maldanados
Elder Wallace with his many fans.The Koonce,Sally and Dave, the Judds, Linda Burke, Andrianne Yurko, Alex and Robbie, and Bros Seeler and Golata.
Elder Garlick Bro and Sis Hyde and Christain from Vint Hill
Elder Garlick and the Brysons
Elder Logan and Buie
Elder Toby Peterson with Karla Slazer, Robbie Smith, and The Thatchers
Elder Bullock
Elder McFarlane
Elder Holmstead
Elder Sackett with Aisha and Howa and Isatu.
Elder Sackett with Paul and Anna Battista
Elder Sackett with the Dahl family
Elder Garlick with Bartolomei family from Tall Cedars Branch
Elder Hill with Marilyn Daines and her daughter
Elder Holmstead With the Mullins family: Cindy, Anthony, Dave, Scott, and Dennis

Elder Sherwani with the Gretz
Elder Schaelling with
Elder Garlick with the Gretz family. His second family


Elder Loar and KnowlesElders Bates, Skousen, Westover and West with Joe Nixon, and the Cumberlins from Franconia

No comments:

Post a Comment