Saturday, August 13, 2011

I MADE MY MOM A PROMISE

One of the most difficult, no, I'd say the most difficult things a mission Pres and wife have to do is share the news with a missionary that one of their parents has died. Two and half weeks ago we had this duty and it was a very difficult, yet tender experience.
Our wonderful Elder Pomeroy lost his Mother. Watching him go through this challenge and face this trial has been an incredible experience. He is one of the best. A real Hero in Gods army and we love him and are proud of him. He has given us permission to share his letter to the president and the letter he wrote that was read at his mothers funeral. I hope this touches your hearts as it as ours.


Dear President Albright,

Well as you probably know these past few days since my mom died have been full of emotion. Sometimes the feelings are how can I go on after losing my mother. Other times I can't feel anything, and other times I feel everything is going to be okay. The Lord has truly wrapped His arms around me. I feel His love and his care for me. The Tall Cedars ward has been very supportive. I spoke with Bishop Roney the day that my mom passed away last week and he asked if their was anything that he could do for me. I asked him to please find people for us to teach. He promised that he would. That message was sent throughout the ward council and then forwarded to the rest of the ward by the Relief Society President. Since then we have had so much ward support! Members that I have never even met have given us referrals of people to teach. Some are not in our area, but the fact that they are giving them is great. I wish that we had this much support without the cause, but nonetheless I am so grateful for their support. The members have helped me so much through this tough situation. Thank you so much for all that you have done for me! Here is part of the talk that I wrote for my Mom’s funeral. My home Stake President is going to read it at the funeral service so I can stay here in the field and work. I appreciate the offer to fly home for a few days but my mom will understand if I stay in the field. You can share this if you want.

Dear Mom,

There is a plaque that sits on my desk, that has a temple picture with three average words. The picture is of the Washington D.C. Temple and the words say, “Families are Forever.” My first intentions for this plaque were to come home to you and be a constant reminder of what I am shooting for in life. That meaning, though similar, has recently made an everlasting change. “Families are Forever,” now means, “I promise to strive the rest of my life to live with you again.” The Temple picture now helps me remember to always keep my Covenants so that I can live with you again. Mom you always talked about how we need to pull the family together, I am going to do my best to make sure that it happens.


Mom you might have noticed I am not in attendance at your funeral today. I hope that you will recall the two promises that you made me promise you before I left for my Mission. The first was, “Promise me you will never come home early, especially for me.” The second that you wrote in my journal was, “Return with Honor.” That is why I am still here on my Mission in the DC South Mission, to honor your request and I know that I can do more good for the family here in themission field than I could by being at home this week. Mom today I promise you that I will stay true to what I promised you. I will strive everyday for the rest of my Mission to become the Missionary you always told me I was.


At this time mom I want to talk about what you mean to me. You are my hero, in times of darkness and despair, you were always there, lifting me up when it was too much to bare. You are my lighthouse guiding me safely home on the stormy seas of life. When storms raged and the tempest tossed, I always looked for your shinning light to help me know that not all was lost. You taught me all the things that I needed to know to help me grow and stand on my own one day. Mom you have set up my life for me to know how to be successful.

Because of your great faith and knowledge about the Gospel, and your setting the example and teaching me, I now have great faith in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Plan of Salvation. I now have a long journey ahead of me. I know it won’t be easy, but I will go forth with faith, “Because My mother knew it,” just like the sons of Helaman in the Book of Mormon. Mom I will not get conquered by the trials that lie ahead of me, because of the Plan of Salvation I know I will see you again if I do my part. I promise that I will see you again, and I will forever strive to be the son and the person you knew I could become.

I will close now by telling you Mom I love you, I will always miss you, and Mom I am forever grateful for you.

In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.


Elder Colby Pomeroy


No comments:

Post a Comment