Monday, May 28, 2012

WEEKLY KEYSTONE




 May 27, 2012 
“The Book of Mormon is the Keystone of our  religion!”   
                     - Joseph Smith 

Keystone 
Washington D.C. South Mission 
Elders and Sisters, 
Recently I’ve been reminded of an important principle. The principle is:       motives matter. 
“For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before 
God” (Moroni 7:8). Woah! You mean doing something good for the wrong reason is evil? Yes. 
Elders and Sisters, motives matter
As I lay in bed one particular night I took a moment to reflect on my mission. As I reflected on it, names and faces flooded my mind. Memories and feelings came flooding in as I re- 
viewed with fondness each one of their faces . An overwhelming feeling of love came over me and I felt my heart almost as it were physically swelling within me. I felt what it is like to feel true charity for all people. I felt pure love for all people—the members, the investigators, the less-actives, even the people on the street unknown to me. It was one of the best 
feelings in the world. At that moment I was willing to do anything in the world for those people. It almost brought tears to my eyes as I experienced godly joy.
  
Now contrast that feeling with the next night. As a knelt beside my bed I felt weak, discouraged, and unhappy. I felt frustration building up inside of me. I couldn’t understand what 
was wrong with me. I felt like I was falling apart. As I knelt in prayer that night, I prayed for guidance. I cried out for help. The answer came sooner than I expected. Almost instantly the 
words came, “Who are you thinking about?” In my mind I reviewed the events of the day. 
Then it came to me. I had got completely caught up in thinking about myself.  
Again the words came, “You will never be happy as long as you are thinking about yourself.”  
I realized I had done some things for the wrong reasons. That night, I made a course correction. 
I again committed to the Lord that I would forget myself and go to work.  I prayed to be filled with that love. Almost instantly, I felt my spirits lifted. I was happy again.
I remembered Elder Bednar’s profound statement: 
“It’s not about me, and it’s not about you; it’s all about Him.”

So then why exactly should we labor? D&C 18:11-15 holds the answer: 
Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer 
suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent 
and come unto him. And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance. And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth! Where- fore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people.

The Atonement is the why. Elders and Sisters, happiness never comes from thinking about yourself. It never does. It’s almost a paradox: the more you think about pleasing yourself, the less pleased you’ll be.

Our Savior has suffered that each of these precious souls may be saved. An appreciation of the Atonement leads to charity. May each of us pray with all the energy of heart for a renewed testimony of the Atonement so that our motives may be pure. 
As we do so, I promise you that you will find joy and satisfaction in your work no matter the outward results.

Let it be said of this transfer, “this was their finest hour!” This is DC South! 
This is OPERATION “WINDOWS OF HEAVEN”!

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 
Elder Parker 


Weekly Quote:  
“God is anxiously waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He 
can’t if you don’t pray, and He can’t if you don’t dream. In short, He can’t if you don’t believe.” Elder Jeffery R. Holland 


Kelly Chase– Garrisonville 
Alex Chase– Garrisonville 
Yvonne Prempeh– Fort Belvoir B
Nora Valasquez- Old Town B 








No comments:

Post a Comment